Registered charity no. 1017287
What is Friends of Roecroft?
Friends of Roecroft Lower School (known as FORLS) is a registered charity which raises funds for the school to benefit the pupils’ education and experience. Anyone connected with the school can be a member: parent; carer; relative; teaching or non-teaching staff, as well as any person 18 years and over wishing to offer appropriate support or help to the school. If you would like to become a member then please email us providing your details to firstname.lastname@example.org. We also have a Committee and Members’ Facebook group which advertises all our events and posts details of meetings, amongst other updates: FORLS Committee Facebook page
Chair - Andrew Hall
Vice Chair - Siobhan Muttitt
Secretary - Vacancy
Treasurer - Gemma Guttridge
How do we support the school?
FORLS raises money to help provide extra resources, facilities and experiences to enhance the children’s time at Roecroft, across all the year groups. Thanks to the enthusiasm and support of our parents, carers, children and local businesses we have recently been able to provide:
- A significant contribution to the building of the fantastic Food Technology Room, which gives children access to first-hand learning about food preparation and healthy eating;
- A large contribution to new playground equipment in the main playground;
- A large contribution to the refurbished playground in the reception playground;
- First Aid training for the Year 4 students, which is now a yearly fixture funded by FORLS;
- A professional story teller to share the magic of stories and reading for Reception classes;
- New curtains for the stage;
- Purchase of Values-based storybooks;
- iTunes vouchers to purchase music for use in dance and classrooms;
- A camera for the school to help capture and document children’s school experiences;
- A visit from the Urban Zoo who brought in animals including snakes and a meerkat;
- Christmas treats for every pupil, including crackers for the Christmas dinner and making sure all the class presents are delivered by Father Christmas;
- Items for the Year 4 leavers party including the disco, photo booth and leavers books; and
- Lab coats for science lessons.
But it’s not just about fundraising, we also like to support the school with their own events. You'll find FORLS members serving teas and coffees at Grandparents' Morning, the Open Evening and selling books at the book fair.
What do we do to raise money for Roecroft?
To raise funds to support the school, we organise various activities over the school year engaging parents, carers, pupils, the wider community and businesses. Recent events include: the Sponsored Bounce; Parent Quiz nights; Pupil Discos; Holiday activity competitions such as the Easter treasure hunt; Summer Fun Day; Outdoor Cinema event; Children’s Christmas card designing and sales; Christmas raffle; and Roecroft Bake Off with different categories including one for the parents!
Roecroft has achieved Eco School status so FORLS tries to run events in accordance with these principles in terms of waste minimisation, resource use and environmental impact.
FORLS also runs a second hand uniform shop, so any donations of uniform are very welcome. If you wish to donate uniform then please drop it into the school office. To enquire about purchasing uniform, please contact FORLS through the messaging function on our main Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FriendsofRoecroft/
How can you help?
As budgets continue to become squeezed in all areas, schools become more reliant on fundraising from its parents groups and Roecroft is no different. FORLS can only continue to provide these resources and experiences if we have ongoing support and donations from parents to run these events, both financially and by donating their time.
Not all members are needed to help at every event so you can volunteer as much time as suits you. Being an active member of FORLS can be good fun and is very rewarding as you will be actively supporting your child's experiences. Whatever commitment you give will be appreciated and will make a difference.
We also receive enormous support from businesses and individuals within the local community. If you or anyone you know would be interested in supporting the FORLS fundraising efforts through fund-matching or raffle prize donations then please contact a member of the committee.
When do we meet?
General meetings are held regularly throughout the school year, often in the pub to make it more of a social event. If you want to attend the general meetings please add yourself to the FORLS Committee Facebook page or give your email address to a member of the committee who can add you to the email distribution list.
FORLS would not be able to do the work they do without the support of all the parents, carers, friends, and grandparents who come to the events and help make them such a success. Many thanks go to all those who help raise money for our children's school. Your continued support is much appreciated and we look forward to seeing you all at our events in the future.